Friday, September 26, 2008

A Few Hours at Universal City Walk

Thursday morning mother, Hannah and I drove to Universal City and spent a few exciting and memorable hours there.
When Hannah saw the giant guitar displayed outside the Hard Rock Cafe she decided it would work well for Paul Bunion.
Is that really the way his name was spelled?
Maybe he had serious foot problems because of his size.
There are so many different restaurants to choose from when you get hungry.
They're air conditioned and so refreshing to step into on a hot day.
We chose NOT to go to a restaurant.
Since it was a mere 100 degrees outside we chose to sit outside.
I looked around to find the best area with the most shade so we sat down with our food of choice:
Tommy's! One of the best chili burgers in the U.S.
With music playing so loud that mother and I had to say - huh - each time we tried to visit,
and wiping our brow instead of our mouths because of the heat we sat there and insisted we were enjoying our lunch.............it was kind of nice when the breeze came up.
After lunch we struck out to do some serious shopping.
Mother saw the Incredible Hulk in front of this store and I couldn't keep her away!
I pulled, scolded and begged her to not make a scene but she just HAD to run back and strike a pose with him. I decided she was a lonely, desperate woman, so I just let her enjoy the moment.
By the look on her face - she's really enjoying the moment! Don't you think?
After I finally pulled her away from Mr. Incredible we walked along enjoying each others company and the various shops.
Until mother spotted this prize. If I remember correctly she told him he might have a chance if he would quit smoking, wash his face and do something about that missing hand. He ignored her completely so she moved on. When she saw this cute little man she went right over to him and began flirting again! He just stood there quietly, seeming to enjoy the attention from this attractive red head; so mother took it one step further to the touching phase!!! He must have been extremely shy because he never said a word - even when she put her hand on his so she gave up on him and we moved on down the walkway. Suddenly, King Kong came swinging down from a tall building just behind us. When Hannah turned to see what the commotion was, she was startled by the HUGE ferocious beast and began screaming. Everyone else didn't seem to be too frightened, they just continued on as if there was nothing to be scared of. Poor little Hannah. To get away from this frightening beast we ran into the closest store. OR To get away from the fierce, beastly heat we ran in to BEN & JERRY'S. Isn't it amazing what ice cream can do to restore everything back to being tolerable? Hannah and her newly adopted friend Otis shared a cup of chocolate brownie with me. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm........... it was so cold and refreshing AND chocolaty.
Mother chose a waffle cone with Cherry Garcia and a chocolate concoction combined.
She said it was really good - of course it was - it was BEN & JERRY'S, what could go wrong?!
Do you know how some people can eat ice cream and look so suave?
I decided to take pictures of mother while she was enjoying her ice cream.
Tell me how you think they turned out. Do you like: The one above????
This one?????
Is it better without the ice cream in her mouth???
How about this one????
Do you think she got drunk on the Cherry Garcia!!
Maybe if she took her hat off it would turn out better. NO, we decided we'd better keep the hat on since it was such a hot day and her head had absorbed all of the heat!
We finally got to laughing so hard about it that I quickly snapped a picture as she was laughing.
I think I like this one the best. Really. What about you?
Before we left to come home Hannah enjoyed the spray from the sidewalk and then we were back in the car fighting traffic on the 101 and 5 freeways in order to get home.
It was all worth it though because I had such a nice day with mother and Hannah.

8 comments:

Don N Beck said...

I LOVE this post! In fact, I love all your posts! I just love your writing and your gift for narrative!

I do think I hear wedding bells for Mother Joyce and Mr. Hulk. Yes, I think Leisure World will be a-buzz with excitement.

I had tears laughing at the ice cream shots with your mother! I'm glad she doesn't do internet...because they're classics, and I don't want them removed! ;o)

What a fun day, and so great you 3 could enjoy it together! However, I'm melting just reading about the heat....and no Lazy River to dip into!

Shelley said...

Thanks Becky; I too had to laugh (again) as I was posting the pictures of mother. She's a good sport - she may not like the pictures if she saw them, but she wouldn't make me remove them. I'm pretty certain she would laugh as well.

Sarah Hull said...

I LOVED this post! What FUN for you three! that was such a crack up! TOO CUTE!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness...these pictures are cracking me up over here!!! I love all the pictures.

Kellie said...

I LOVE it all! I think the hunky Hulk was definitely grandmas fav! Check out her hand placement on that thigh!!! YOU GO GIRL! I loved the ice cream pics too! I love grandma SO much!! She's so much FUN!!!!!!!! ALL of you are. I can't wait for OUR GNO again!

sandy k. smith said...

hahahaha grandma is so funny. i love those pictures!

Natalie said...

Mom is going to crown you with some of those hilarious pictures of her! And look how tall Hannah is getting, she is up her grandma's shoulders! Mom said you guys had a great day.

Shelley said...

FEI - I showed mother my post. She actually laughed as she was reading and looking at the pictures. She was a good sport.